The "Skinny Bridge" is a bridge over the river Amstel in the city centre of Amsterdam. The central section of the "Magere Brug" is a bascule bridge made of white-painted wood. The present bridge was built in 1934. The first bridge at this site was built in 1691 and had 13 arches. Because the bridge was very narrow, the locals called it "magere brug", which literally means "skinny bridge". In 1871 the state of the bridge was so bad that is was demolished and replaced by a nine-arched wooden bridge. Fifty years later this bridge also needed to be replaced. The last major renovation was in 1969. Until 1994 the bridge was opened by hand, but now is opened automatically. Since 2003 the bridge is limited to pedestrians and cyclists.
See for more Sunday Bridges here