maandag 10 augustus 2015

If We Ever Get to Heaven

In the Eye Filmmuseum in Amsterdam I saw a very interesting exhibition  "If We Ever Get to Heaven" by South African artist William Kentridge (1955). In the first room you saw some portraits painted on cardboard.

Than you entered a dark room where you could see a frieze of moving images measuring some 45 metres in length. The people were carrying the images from the first photo on an endless parade.

The numerous figures form a collectively kaleidoscopic picture of people on the move. These are images that hit us every day through the media, of people fleeing from hunger, war and sickness. 

The procession evokes their sadness yet also conveys their vitality. Accompanied by a repeting music it was a very impressive expierence. You can read more about the exhibition here.

15 opmerkingen:

  1. The cardboard portraits/sculptures are a neat idea.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. Wow, this is really expressive. I am impressed with the artwork here.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. That is just fascinating. I'm imagining it in motion, with music....

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. very simple idea but powerfully done.
    Hope you are well, Bieb!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  5. I would have loved the unique nature of the art, as I like to see unusual media.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  6. I guess one would have to be there to fully appreciate it.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  7. Lijkt me inderdaad erg indrukwekkend om het op deze manier te zien.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  8. This would be a moving(I mean emotional) piece of work. I think Eric Clapton had a song If I ever get to heaven.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  9. I like the mood in these shots. I'm sure I'd enjoy the exhibition.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  10. In am always amazed at the number of museums in Amsterdam.....and unusual art exhibits.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  11. Must have been an interesting exhibition Marianne.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  12. I think it would have been an amazing experience Marianne, sometimes I think we become a bit immune to the suffering that is happening around the world.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  13. I think it would have been an amazing experience Marianne, sometimes I think we become a bit immune to the suffering that is happening around the world.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  14. I think it would have been an amazing experience Marianne, sometimes I think we become a bit immune to the suffering that is happening around the world.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen