donderdag 26 mei 2016

The old house

Last Sunday we made a tour to memory lane and watched the house where we once lived in Amsterdam from 1972-1979. The house with the tree! on top is the one we hired, the third floor and a part of the attic. These houses date from the 19th century and are renovated now I can see with the shops below closed and some empty floors.

We started with the two of us to live here but after some time we got a family with two children. The window left and the doors with the "French balcony" were the living room. The window right was a very small room for the children. We slept in the back of the house.

That rooftop terrace is new, we didn't have that. I have seen many houses in Amsterdam have one now. We used the attic to play table tennis, it was a big room with enough room to jump around the table. After renovation the houses will be sold by floor for very high prices. 

Around the corner was the milkshop where I did my daily shopping, no supermarkets at those times yet. I made an every day walk along the bakery, the greengrocer, the milkman and the butcher. At every shop the kids got something to eat from the shopowner,  a carrot, a slice of cheese, a bread stick and a slice of sausage. They were fond of shopping!

A last view at the street, it is mostly a busy street with tramways and traffic, but not on a Sunday.

16 opmerkingen:

  1. It's so lovely to remember the old place where were living. I think this is a nice place and lovely building (I'm also a city person, so I love to see the town homes).

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. Excelentes fotografias urbanas.
    Um abraço e continuação de uma boa semana.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. To have a roof garden in the middle of the city, must be fantastic!
    I have to see if I can spot some here in Stavanger.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. Travelling down the proverbial memory lane can be fun. Some of those corner shops still survive here, though they're more convenience store now than what they were decades ago.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  5. What a lovely trip down memory lane Marianne. Wonderful that they now have a terrace, it must be a luxury in an apartment block.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  6. Mooie herinneringen! Zo'n dakterras lijkt me ook wel wat :)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  7. I always find it very strange whenever I return to places that we have lived in, it always feels like another world and so remote from our present life.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  8. This is what I keep saying. The Dutch are smart and renovate old buildings.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  9. Once in while I'll take a drive in old neighbor hood I once live and see what sort of changes went on over the years.
    Coffee is on

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  10. Looks like a lovely home and must have brought back happy memories going to visit there again.
    Happy weekend
    Hugs
    Carolyn

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  11. Dearest Marianne,
    That was a fun trip down memory lane and yes, over the years things do change a lot.
    Hope the renovation will be successful and that they again can get occupied.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  12. What a fab post Marianne! So enjoyed seeing your newly married apartment Marianne, how lucky to live in a heritage building I would love that! You described it so well I could just imagine the happy times there.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  13. A wonderful description of part of your life! Yes, super markets cut down on time for busy people, but I do miss going to the individual shops. It tended to reinforce community and that is missing from so much of our lives now.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  14. a very interesting post to see your old memories. I can remember in the 60's as a kid when shop keepers would give my sister & I a treat when we went shopping with Mum

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  15. I loved this post! Thanks for giving us a peek in your past!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen