donderdag 22 juni 2017

Beachlife in the fifties

Found a few old photos today from the fifties at the beach in Katwijk aan Zee at the North Sea. My mother and me at the left and my brother and sister. My parents hired in summer holidays for six weeks a few rooms in a guesthouse close to the beach. to flee  a hot Amsterdam. A kind of an early B&B. I remember that bathing suit of me made of blue itchy wool! When it got wet it dropped off down with the straps cutting in my neck,

My father didn't like the beach so much and stayed in Amsterdam. But in the weekends he came to visit us on the beach always wearing a suit! The only thing he took off on the beach were his shoes....

15 opmerkingen:

  1. Wat een mooie foto's! Als kind moet het heerlijk zijn geweest om 's zomers aan zee te zijn.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. mooie herinneringen zijn me dat Marianne....

    je vader in kostuum op het strand, valt hier wel erg op

    prettige dag

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. My dad always wore a suit, too. Everywhere! And usually a hat. Times have changed. I lived in Los Angeles in the mid-to-late 40s and during summer vacation we spent most days at the beach. The biggest change from then to now is probably the clothing. And I understand parts of Miami Beach are "clothing optional." :)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. Miami Beach! Really? That's awesome! But I'm still not going there this summer. :-)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  5. Wonderful photos and memories! I remember similar bathing suits that sagged and grew heavy when wet. You'd think your dad would at least want to take his jacket off!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  6. Such great memories. I spent a lot of time at the beach growing up in the 50s too. What a wonderful time I had. Times are so different now but I grew up loving the sea to this day.
    Thanks for sharing a wonderful family memory.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  7. I love old photos. And you have with these ones many memories. I cannot image a father to be on the beach wearing a suit. It sounds like in a old movie.. :)
    I do not remember that we would have been on a sandy beach with a family, but always by boat and on some island.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  8. Six weeks on the beach? What a great summer.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  9. J'adore these old black and white images Marianne. Wonderful memories for you here, I loved the pic of your dad in his suit and bare feet, classic! ☺

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  10. Love the photos - especially of your father in his suit!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen