vrijdag 12 juli 2019

Let's fly away

The Amsterdam City Archives has a photo exhibition about 100 years of KLM the Dutch airline.

Look how simple flying was in the early days.

Famous passengers.as Josephine Baker in 1928.

And Audrey Hepburn and Mel Ferrer in 1954.

Emigrants on their way to Australia in 1950. Between 1947 and 1961 126.000 Dutch people left for Australia to build a new life there. Driven by the poor economic prospects in their own country and the fear of a third World War. Most people went by ship but KLM organised special emigrant flights at reduced rates.

Amazing how comfortable to fly this way.


14 opmerkingen:

  1. Interesting to see how flying used to be. Great set of historical images.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. I love it when I see old photographs from my generation. »-(¯`·.·´¯)->

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. Great photos. The very first time I flew, the stewardesses wore tidy uniforms like that. However, I never saw a plane with those beds before. What a welcome sight.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. Amazing changes have taken place in air transportation.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  5. een interessante terugblik Marianne

    alles verandert.. en snel

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  6. Wat grappig die bedden, lijkt me heerlijk als je een lange vlucht hebt.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  7. Interesting exhibition, I like old photos.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  8. I love KLM! Wasn't great airline designer Tony Folker Dutch?

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  9. It is also so refreshing to see how people dressed for an airline flight back in the day and so sad to see what it has come to.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  10. Lovely exhibition with the old photos. I still remember flying int he 70's and we would all dress up for it, my Dad would wear a suit! Now it's the total opposite and people go as sloppy as they can to feel relaxed. I had no idea there were special flights to bring immigrants from Holland to Australia.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  11. Love this post. I was a stew in the 60's and worked on one of the DC-3's
    I also wore a very similar uniform. Those were the days!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen