The next visit was at the former cavalry barracks which now are turned into the Royal Academy of Visual Arts. In 1865, new cavalry barracks were commisioned by the Ministry of War to be built at the former Muiden fort.
The four wings were constructed in austere neoclassical style, each with a gate and surrounding a rectangular courtyard. On the groundflour, there were stables for twohundred horses.
Troops were stationed in the first floor and in the attic, and hay and straw were also stored there. In 1874, an indoor riding school with an iron roof was built next to the barracks. After the Second World War, the buildings gradually became obsolete and they were increasingly used as a storage facility for the adjacent Royal Medicine Warehouse.
From 1989 until 1992 the complex was extensively rebuilt by architect Koen van Velzen into an artist residence which recently purchased the building. This is the painting workshop.
And another corner of the workshop.
We saw an example of the art by one of the students.
This little visiter was not so impressed.
The students collect all kind of interesting materials to expres their artworks.