Harderwijk received city rights in 1231 fromm Count Otto II of Guelders. A defensive wall surrounding the city was completed by the end of that century.
Particularly along the west side of the town much of the wall still exists, although often not in entirely original form.
This also goes for the only remaining city gate the "Vischpoort".
Another small gate to reach the city.