The courtyard of the Amsterdam Museum.. In the Middle Ages, the Saint Lucien's Monastry was situated here and in 1578 the City Orphanage was established. The Orphanage was home to thousands of children between 1580 and 1960, many of them had lost there parents to the plague.
Here an old picture of the orphans in the courtyard.
And as it is still now.
The orpahns wore all the same clothes in the colours of the Amsterdam Coat of Arms. The children also received an education here. The older boys attended school elsewhere in the city, while the girls received instruction within the orphanage, and were trained in domestic skills.
In memory of the time of the orphanage, the Regents Room has been left intact. Here used for a fashion exhitbition last summer.
And the the orphans cupboards in the inner courtyard.
The corridor to the street.